Thursday, October 1, 2009

Halloween Cookie Giveaway!!

Alright.. perhaps you haven't noticed, but I'm really excited for Halloween this year!

I've been churning out ideas and planning things for a couple weeks already and now that it's officially October, I can officially start putting my planning to action!

However, my thoughts are that Halloween fun should be shared. SO! To that end, I'm having a cookie giveaway.

To enter, all you have to do is post a comment with a favorite Halloween memory, or something you especially like about Halloween.. and, for those folks who may not be as jazzed about this Holiday as I am, maybe just something you especially like about Fall :) Fear not, if you don't happen to live near me, I will mail these cookies anywhere in the United States.

Enter your comment by 11:59PM on October19th and you can have your choice of 13 of these cookies:
chocolatey cat and bat cookies

or 13 of these cookies:

26 comments:

Irene said...

i think my new favorite halloween memory might be getting cookies from cousin kate!!! just kiddin, but those do look yummy. are you willing to share the recipes?

Jessica said...

My best Halloween was the one where my roommate literally shrieked when she saw me. Awesome costume. And all is was was spooky makeup and plastic spiders.

Anonymous said...

Yay, I'm first. Clearly I deserve them!! ;) My favorite memory was as a kid I combed all of my really long hair in front of my face and went as Cousin It- from Addams Family. Easiest costume EvEr! You are so cute and fun Kate. I love seeing all of your projects!!

Zac said...

Jessica, I think I remember that costume. It was terrific.

My favorite memories are following Halloween and trying to bribe the best candies (Milky Ways) from my younger siblings. And finding ways to get rid of candy corn.

However, I'm sure that a box of cookies would easily make me forget such memories in the past. Those cookies would be so much better than Milky Ways. And, I would even be willing to come pick them up to save on postage. (Are there other things I can add to bribe you?)

misskate said...

Loving the memories guys!!

Cousin Irene- I've updated the post so that the description of the pictures are both now links to the recipes.

Jessica- that must've been an AWESOME costume to make your roommie squeal!

Sarah- You and your sisters have such gorgeous hair.. I was always jealous!

Zac - Hmm.. tempting tempting! ;)

Chilly Beans said...

You know, growing up I loathed Halloween. Maybe it was because my mom would spend hours making literally award winning costumes for the rest of my brothers and sisters and by the time she got to me was too tired to even think (there were 11 children...what would you expect?) So I always ended up being something horrible such as a coat hanger, a sleeping bag, or a poster board cutout of a hand-drawn scarecrow complete with paper handles and cut out eyes for me to walk around in the school halloween costume parade (cute from the front, not so much from the back where the other half of the costume was missing). One time I was even mistaken for a bum, but I wasn't dressed up for Halloween that day. Not good memories, huh? But then, about four years ago my brother and I threw a Halloween party that was a smashing success and it just so happened to be the place where my husband and I hit it off and our romance blossomed. Since then, Halloween has become one of my favorite holidays...even surpassing Christmas a little bit. :) Though I still find it difficult to dress up (it takes MUCH bribing and coercing to even think about it) I decorate to the nines. In fact, we are having a Halloween decorating party this weekend to put up all the decorations, which includes a table top cemetary complete with fog machine and skulls. Awesome! :) This is a fun entry, Kate! Thanks!!

misskate said...

Chili Beans - Aaaawwwww! That's a very sad story!! But still, Yay! for finding romance at a Halloween party! Have fun decorating :)

Stephanie said...

Hi. (waving) Nice to "meet" you. You start giving away cookies, and I'm bound to find you. :)

I've had the best idea for a Halloween tradition, but never gotten around to it. This year, I'm bound and determined to do it. Within a few days after Halloween, I'm going to invite a bunch of families over for a post-Halloween Blizzard party. I'll provide ice cream and a blender, and they all bring their leftover candy, and we'll blend up awesome Blizzards.

And when I was little and Halloween fell on a Sunday, we trick-or-treated from room to room in our house and it's one of my favorite memories. We got big candy bars and other cool treats.

misskate said...

Hi Steph! As you probably noticed, I'm a frequent lurker on your blog.. I was drawn in by your General Conference talk sharing.. especially the one with ways to get kids at least paying attention to the talks. I'll have to tuck that away for future reference.
I also like your candid posts too :)
Thanks for saying hi!

Anne Chovies said...

One of my favorite Halloween memories is themouse costume that about half of my children wore. Might have been six of the eight. And it was cute on each and every one of them! Now just be sure I win!

misskate said...

Haha! I remember that costume! Didn't Mom make that? It was very cute :)

Ritsumei said...

Let's see. It's the costumes that I think are the most fun. Real costumes, with creativity, are so much more fun than the chincy ones that you go buy. I think that my favorite costume was the Glenda the Good Witch costume that Mom made for me. Do you remember it, all frilly and floofy? You had a frilly floofy dress too, though I don't remember what you were that year anymore. That "gypsy" skirt that we used, we found all the cheap jewelry in the house and the heavy make up, that was fun. As was the family tree that I did a couple of years ago. I didn't place in the costume contest that I went to, and I was told that I was robbed, which was entertaining. That was also the year that I discovered that Andy looks **really** good in the tall riding boots he found to go with his Jedi costume. Yep, it's the costumes that really do it for me. I've got a couple patterns that would make a Kick Butt southern belle, Civil War era, if I could ever get them made up. That would be a lot of fun. Sadly, for this year, I have no good inspiration.

I'll advertise your giveaway on my blog; does that mean that I get an "extra" entry??

misskate said...

Rits - Hmm.. I don't remember the Glinda the Good dress, but I definitely remember the Gypsy skirt. Good times good times :)

As for extra entries.. well, how about I send you extra cookies if you win.... ;)

JD said...

My favorite memories of Halloween are from the elementary school days when you'd go around from classroom to classroom struttin' yo stuff...

...or the time when Halloween was cancelled due to -30 degree temperatures and ice. Good thing Mom and Dad had plenty candy for us (plus chocolate milk!)

JenLCB said...

I remember my first time trick or treating without my parents. My little brother was a vampire and I was a bag lady, and we were allowed to trick or treat with our baby sitter and her teenage friends and boyfriends. We felt very grown up. Especially when we knocked on one old man's door repeatedly but he just sat there watching TV with his back to us. We thought he might be dead so we tried the door but he jumped off his chair and was holding a shotgun. We ran away shrieking, literally fearing for our lives.

Best. Halloween. Ever.

misskate said...

Jasher- -30?? And I thought Wisconsin was cold in October. That's rough business!

Jen - that's an AWESOME story.. scary scary!!

Keeley said...

Oh my good gravy. Not only Zim, but free cookies. Oh my gosh. If I weren't married...or female...I'd propose.

My favourite halloween memory:

We didn't have it growing up because I'm English and they don't do it there. Or at least they didn't whilst I was growing up. My parents say it's been coming into fashion over recent years.

So my very very first halloween I was newly married and had a teeny tiny baby. We were living in the rabbit hutches at BYU. My husband showed me how to carve a pumpkin and we set it up just inside the door.

We even bought dry ice so it would smoke. WHHOOOOTTT! It was the first time I'd ever seen dry ice.

So anyway, the first little BYUlets came knocking on the door and I hid out of sight whilst my husband slowly opened the door so all the little kidlets could see was a dark kitchen with a smoking pumpkin. Their eyes were as wide as saucers.

Then what to our wondering eyes should appear, but a SPIDER! It dropped down on a thread of web right in front of the children, almost like we'd planned it. =)

It. Was. AWESOME! =)

misskate said...

Wohoo!
Even the spider got in the spirit. It sounds like it was awesome :)

enginerd said...

cookies!!!!! gimme, gimme, gimme!

enginerd said...

my fav memory was the halloween party Amy and brandon did for the waard halloween party. it was called century station. Ellen won a prize for her costume of Ursula from the little mermaid!

ecuaman said...

Man, I don't stand a chance against some of these Halloween memories!

I have a few memorable costumes...

I won scariest costume at our ward Halloween party when I dressed up like my brother who was on his mission. I used a tag he sent home, and parted my hair down the middle like him, and took off my glasses. (a few things most people had never seen me do) People were asking me why I came home early from my mission. It creeped everyone out, including my parents. The funny thing is I don't see the resemblance.

I also remember one costume where I pulled a pair of bright red shinny speedos (I was on the high school waterpolo team, why we had bright red speedos I'll never know) over my jeans and tied a towel around my neck. I was super man! (or something like that)

Then there was the sponge bob costume I made out of a tv box. We bought material at the local Joannes, and I sewed it together myself. It was too wide and made it quite difficult to get the spoon to my mouth at dinner that night, but people were throwing candy into the neck hole all night!!!

Anyway, I agree with Ritsume, it's all about the costumes!

O'Berrys said...

All of my Halloweens seem to blur together, none from my younger years are sticking out to me. One year I just wear a Halloween shirt I got at Target that was purple with a spiderweb on it, I made my makeup really pale, silver eyeshadow that came out and went to my hairline and curled and teezed my hair HIGH and sprayed it will sliver hair stuff (my bathroom door still glitters) and put little spiders all in it. Took me FOREVER at the end of the night to get it all out, had to shower before bed to get it out.
I think Halloween with kiddos is SO much fun, especially when they understand what to do; that was Corin last year! He knew exactly what to do, he ran up to the door, rang the door bell, held out his bag and said "Trick or Treat" then "Thank You!" and ran to the next door, it was SO much fun for me to watch him. This year he is excited about Halloween and was specfic on what he wanted to be (a dinosaur) He keeps asking if its time to go "Trick or Treating"

I remember when you were a bunch of grapes!! =0)

misskate said...

Haha.. yeah, kids are especially cute when it comes to dressing up. I hope he LOVES that dinosaur costume :)

Ritsumei said...

I have another one!! It's another costume thing.

When I was a Junior in high school, do you remember the time that I used all our make up and gave myself a black eye? That was another "no inspiration" year. You had some great orange-y shades in your eyeshadow. Anyway, Mom helped me put on the makeup until it looked GREAT. Very authentic. And I went to school & people asked me "What happened?!" And I said that Mom did it.... which she did. Not my most brilliant moment, and it got me called to the office, where they weren't sure they believed me that it was totally made up until I offered to go wash it off.

Makes a good story. But looking back, it very nearly caused some real problems for the folks!

misskate said...

HAHAHA!! Oh man I remember that one! Pure awesome.

Keeley said...

Hahaa, Ritsumei, I wish I had a picture of that one. =D