Thursday, September 19, 2019

River Flood Warning

Periodically, on my weather app, I'll get a notification saying river flood warning. I don't really live any where near the river, so I never pay it much mind.


Then, the other day Hubby and I tried to go hiking. I don't remember it being a particularly rainy time but, honestly, I don't always notice that either.. however, when we got to the hiking trails, it was amazingly flooded. It was then it occurred to me that those flood warnings really did have relevance somewhere.


This main road cuts through the park, so there's this very flooded parking lot on one side of the street, and on the other side there's another lot, further back from the road and the river. So we thought we might have better luck over there.


We did find one path that went into the trees a little ways before it got too flooded to continue. However, all the rest were all under water. We walked around the field for a bit, surveying the area, but settled on sitting at some picnic tables to chat for a while.


Happily, the field was slightly higher ground from the woods surrounding it. The water seemed mostly contained inside the treeline. 


It was an afternoon date, so it was just the two of us. Though perhaps not a hiking success, but it was a good company, good conversation.. a lovely afternoon.

2 comments:

Anne Chovies said...

Flooding is kind of an amazing thing that we hear about often but have been blessed not to have to deal with so it's really something to see it. Glad you were still able to get a stroll out of your hike.

Ritsumei said...

We've been having a lot of those too --and I'm also mostly ignoring them. Makes me wonder if there's a drowned park or something around here, too. But conversation with your sweetheart is a lovely thing any day of the week!