As a mom of small kids, I spend a lot of time feeling like this is not my season for [fill in the blank]. But sometimes, if I can successfully adjust my perspective, I can see that, though life can feel limiting and tethered, this can still be a time for doing. It just might be simple or rushed, or maybe something else has to be sacrificed to fit it in, but fun can be had.
Historically, Halloween has been "my holiday".. but kids have changed that. I'm still working to find a satisfactory balance with that but, for this year, it translated to a very pared-down celebration. We did decorate, but less.
We didn't have our big party, but we all did dress up to go Trick or Treating for the first time (which was surprisingly fun).
However, all was not loss this Autumn season. Even if Halloween is not the raucous bash it's sometimes been, there are still things to do that are fun! For example, get out and see the changing leaves!
For a few weeks now I've been meaning to get out and enjoy the colors... but stuff just seems to keep coming up. However, after the rains last week, I decided I'd better get serious about going or all the leaves would be gone before we went out! So, I picked a day where the weather forecast looked best and I made it happen.
![]() |
| It sure takes a lot of gear to get all of us out in the woods! |
![]() |
| we did get water to come out, but he said it tasted gross. still, Moon was entertained by the whole process |
![]() |
| a boy and his stick |
Afterward, we had to stop in at the nature center because, toys!
Every time I go out walking in the woods, I come out feeling better about the world. And I tell myself that it needs to happen more often! Seriously, I need to remember this better and make time more often. I love it!














2 comments:
Boys and sticks! Yay.
We had the very same problem with getting out in the woods -- and it's part of school and super important. It's just easy to get caught up in other stuff. I found a friend to go with about 2 years ago, and we've been *much* more consistent now that we know we get to play with our friends, who are counting on us to help them overcome the same problem. It's awesome. We have a regular nature preserve, looks somewhat like the place you visited, and even in 2 years of (mostly) weekly visits, we've never fully explored the place.
You certainly found a neat place to go! The scenery and colors look wonderful! Moon looks like he really enjoyed the water pump and toys. Townsend, I love seeing him check out the world. Looks like a good time for sure!
Post a Comment