You know, it's kind of funny how many tasty things I don't make at home 'cuz I think that they will be hard, time consuming or complicated. One perfect example of this is German Pancakes. We had those pretty regularly, growing up, and I remember really liking them but I never cooked them in my own kitchen. It wasn't until a couple Thanksgivings ago, when I was chatting with my sisters and Mom, that I really realized just how easy German Pancakes are. Nothing easier! Except maybe, hummus.
Hummus is another one of those.. it's so good it must be complicated! (I know, I know.. don't try to follow my crazy logic) It's always super tasty at the Mediterranean restaurants I visit, but somehow the stuff from the store never tastes as good.
In my building there's a cafe that is subsidized by my firm, so I'll occasionally go down there for lunch. It's a small cafe, so the people are all very friendly and open to chatting about recipes. I commented the other day that their hummus was some of the best I've tasted! And he returned with a comment on how easy it is. "Nothing easier! You just take some chickpeas, olive oil and ... (bunch of other ingredients I immediately forgot) ... blend it up and, viola! You've got hummus!"
I smiled and nodded as I thanked him and walked away.. that didn't seem too difficult!
Tonight, I decided that I wanted hummus for dinner. I thought back that exchange.. now how did it go? (what I recalled):
Hummus:
1) Collect chickpeas
2) ???
3) Profit?
(Oh wait, wrong meme!)
Hmmm... Better consult with the internets.
This looks more promising...
Hummus:
1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tbs olive oil
2 Tbs lemon juice
1/2 tsp soy sauce
3/4 tsp cumin
salt and pepper to taste
Throw in blender, blend it up and viola! You've got hummus!
This one was pretty good! Though, I think next time I'll try this hummus recipe, for contrast!
2 comments:
The one I make has both onion and tahini in it - and it's really good.
Once I made it and I misread the cumin, and used tablespoons instead of teaspoons, and it actually tasted even better. Maybe I just really like cumin.
I actually got some tahini this weekend, I hear that's the secret.. next round will totally have some in it!
Post a Comment