Apparently, there are two general families of tarantulas: Old World and New World. The Old World are those from Asia and Africa and are generally more aggressive and quick to bite. Also, they tend to be more venomous. The New World tarantulas (from South America and stuff) are generally more docile. If they decide they feel threatened, their first line of defense (if unable to simply retreat) is to flick a hair at whatever is harassing it, after that it'll rear up it's front legs and try to look scary. Only if those behaviors are unsuccessful will it bite. And they aren't generally so venomous (bee sting, mosquito bite sort of irritation). Though, in Cambodia they find a whole other use for them.
Also, different species are different levels of docile. The most common pet tarantula is the Chilean Rose-Haired tarantula. Only slightly less docile is this Chaco Golden Knee. So, when my friend offered to let me hold the tarantula, I nervously agreed. Hehe. Happily, we all survived the whole process. However, I think I may wait a little while before holding it again.
Behold:
2 comments:
You are a braver woman than I am! No.Way.Ever. I do not hold spiders. Spiders are for squishing. But you probably shouldn't tell your friend that I said that!
I'm not sure I'd want to hold one of those things, either. Did you see the picture of your brother with one on his shoulder? Creepy.
Post a Comment