Friday, July 22, 2016

Home Projects - Fixing the Green

When painting walls, I may or may not be rather particular about colors. In preparation for moving into this place, there wasn't time to paint before moving in (and knowing how these things go when one has young children) we hired it out. While we did get color on our walls (which was most definitely preferable to the builder-grade taupe) there was some miscommunication with the colors and two of the three rooms weren't quite what I'd envisioned. Also, they neglected to remove the covers when painting (this drives me crazy).


In the last two years, I've mostly come around to the colors; they're not *so* bad really. Though, Townshend's room color was the worst offender. The green was just a bit too screaming green for my taste. However, there was a water leak over the window for the longest time. They kept coming and fixing it, but it kept leaking, so that drywall above the window has been patched and mudded at least twice; I figured it'd be best to wait til all that was settled before bothering to paint again.


Happily, the water leak has been fixed and I feel that we've waited sufficiently long to be sure of that, so FINALLY, it was time to paint over the patching. But then, if I'm having to paint anyway, I decided it was time to fix the color in this room.


It's a subtle difference; as I was putting up the paint it almost felt like an exercise of futility - it was essentially the same color anyway... Here's a close-up comparison. The green on the left is the new color. Only slightly different, I began to wonder how much it would actually change the room......

 and look at the poor coverage from the original paint; that's supposed to be two coats. Ugh.. so not hiring-out painting again. 
However, once it was all done and dry, I love it. It's still bright and fun, but in a softer, muted (non-screaming) way. Also, hooray for single-toned walls!!


Love it.

1 comment:

Anne Chovies said...

Yay for "just right!" Worth the effort.