Sunday, February 5, 2012

Valentines, but Fun!

I've long thought Valentines Day a silly sort of day. Not that love or celebrating having someone special in your life is silly, just that there's this "need" for a specific day to be prescribed for acknowledging that love or special someone. That's silly.

Some years I'll post things actively anti-Valentines day; some years I mostly ignore that it even exists. However, this year, at church, I'm working with kids. Kids are funny little creatures really. They are a funny mix of all sorts of things (innocence, impertinence, quirkiness, mischief..) but they, for the most part, are unfettered by the inflated expectations and designated requirements that we, as adults, have accumulated from years and years of marketing influence.

So, for kids, Valentines day is still fun.

Plus, they get really excited when you give them things (though, mostly it's in the hope for candy or cookies), but they genuinely appreciate presents. So, for the kids, I was inspired to give a nod to the silly holiday.  However, ever the curmudgeon, I won't be bringing anything sugary, just these adorable Valentines (following this tutorial here).

I'm really pleased with how they turned out!

2 comments:

Anne Chovies said...

What a cool idea! Was the clean up hard? The pan, I mean.

misskate said...

Actually, the clean up wasn't too bad. As soon as the wax had hardened, I popped them out of the molds (which were silicone, so that was easy too). There were a few spots where a really thin layer of wax had hardened, that was a little tougher to clean up, but it only took a quick scrub with a bristly brush to get them good as new again!