"Knowing God does not solve life's problems,
but gives purpose and strength to master them."
- Bernard P. Brockbank
Monday, May 2, 2011
Beautifying my Deck
One of the (many) things that drew me to our current home is that it had some outside space. We've got this little deck off the back of our home that isn't glamorous or amazing in and of itself but, compared to nothing at all, is very exciting to have!
When we first moved in, it had very little to say for itself but the potential was immense! It's kinda small and narrow, and the view isn't much to speak of, but it's just big enough that I can envision a little grill and maybe a tiny, tiny table and just enough space for two to dine outside when the weather is nice. In short, it's perfect!
Realizing this dream is a work in progress though; first things first: beautification. The weather has been quite nice (read: above freezing) for a while now, and it's almost Mother's Day (perfect time for planting) so I went out and got some planters to hang off the edge of the deck. I also got some pansies and dirt, and a little bit of ivy, and set to work!
Now I've got my own little patch of green out back! It makes me terribly happy! Plus, the tag on the pansies said they were "weather tough", and the planters have that brown lining that is supposed to equalize any over or under watering that may occur.. so, I'm hopeful that the flowers will survive the summer (and my inexperience)!
Also, for Christmas, I got this amazing driftwood hanging decoration. And it lends a wonderful flavor to my beautified deck. Hooray for dirt and Spring!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Yes, hooray indeed. We have been given the wonderful opportunity to grow a garden up at the Greeley LDS farm. They gave us as many rows as we wanted (we chose three since we had never done it before and they are 15" wide by 60' long!) and our entire world has been filled with preparing, digging, planting, and working over and in our new piece of land that is just for us for a season. It makes us so happy! We are growing corn, beans, watermelon, potatoes, carrots, onions, another type of bush bean, cucumbers, broccoli, squash, zucchini, bell peppers, tomatoes, pumpkins, pickling cucumbers, strawberries, sunflowers, basil, oregano, parsley, thyme and petunias! ~whew!~ Whether or not everything grows as wonderful as it does in my head is another story entirely, but I do love having this little piece of land to play in the dirt and see what can come out. :)
That's awesome!! I hope that everything comes out lovely and deliciously! You'll definitely have to keep me posted :)
Yay for dirt! I was just telling Andy that we might want to consider expanding the garden. I'm not sure he's convinced yet, but by the time we plant the blueberry bushes we've got on our counter (the ones that are NOT dormant) there's not going to be tons of space left to put the tomatoes and peppers in. Plus, I've got a mess of baby onions to plant... and those are something that I can consistently grow! You oughta stick some chives out there: it's grass & tough to kill, but it's very tasty.
Post a Comment